Filipino Americans are the second-largest Asian American ethnic group in the U.S. and the first documented Asian people to arrive in the country. In October, celebrate the rich cultural legacy of Filipino Americans during Filipino American History Month.
- When students improve their attendance rates, they improve their academic prospects and chances for graduating.
- When children are absent from school, they miss out on consistent instruction that is needed to develop basic skills.
- Children in early grades are particularly susceptible to falling behind in fundamental reading skills, which can have a snowball effect that impacts future learning.
School Wide Expectations
- Congratulations to Ms. Lynd’s and Ms. Blas’s classes for earning 10 Robo class tickets! They will receive an extra recess.
- Congratulations to Ms. Lamas’s class for earning 20 Robo class tickets! They will receive a popsicle party.
- Congratulations to Ms. Sanchez’s class for earning 30 Robo class tickets! They will receive a popcorn party.
- Congratulations to Ms. Muro’s and Ms. Tsutsumi’s classes for have 100% perfect attendance all week!
- Congratulations to Ms. Blakely’s class for winning the Golden Cleat Award from VAPA PE this week!
- Please be mindful and respectful to our Safety Patrol. They are here to help keep everyone safe!
- Volunteers must check in with the office before staying on campus. To maintain the instructional environment, volunteers can stay up to 1.5 hours. Reach out to your child’s teacher if you would like to volunteer. We can always use help working with small groups in the class or preparing materials in the workrooms.
LEAD after school Clubs
- Clubs started last week and the students have been very excited!
- Thanks for being patient as we work to implement this brand new program.
- We have added a running club on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays from 3:00-4:00. It will start on October 31. If this is something your child is interested in, please click on the link and fill out the interest form. You will be notified if your child is selected. Running Club Interest
- After school students will go to the lunch harbor. There they will receive a snack provided by LEAD. At 3pm students will be picked up by their teacher. If they have another club afterwards they can walk to that room. If a student is getting picked up or walking home, they will be dismissed through the front gates located next to the office only. Any questions contact Ms. Veronica at firstname.lastname@example.org
The PTA is in need of a new treasurer. The treasurer is one of three required roles for our PTA. Without a new treasurer PTA will no longer be able to continue. Listed below are some of the duties of the treasurer. A link is also provided below that gives further details. If you are interested in the role of treasurer please let our PTA know. email@example.com
Key Role of Treasurer:
- Maintains permanent records to track unit funds and financial transactions
- Chairs budget committee and prepares annual budget for adoption by the association
- Pays all PTA bills as authorized by board or association
- Prepares reports for every board and association meeting and an annual financial report
- Ensures taxes and reports required by PTA bylaws, insurance or federal and state governments are completed and submitted by the due dates
For additional information:
Red Ribbon Week
Red Ribbon Week is very special to Camarena Elementary. It is because of our school namesake that Red Ribbon Week is celebrated across our country! In response to the murder of DEA Agent Enrique Camarena, angered parents and youth in communities across the country began wearing Red Ribbons as a symbol of their commitment to raise awareness of the killing and destruction cause by drugs in America. In 1988, NFP sponsored the first National Red Ribbon Celebration. Today, the Red Ribbon serves as a catalyst to mobilize communities to educate youth and encourage participation in drug prevention activities. Over the next couple of newsletters, I will share more information about Enrique Camarena.
Calendar of Events
23-31 Red Ribbon Week
23- TK Field Trip
23- SSC Meeting 3:00-4:00
24- DAC/DELAC district meeting 12:00-2:00
25- Red Ribbon Week School Event
25- PTA General Meeting 6:00-7:00 in the MPR
27- Kona Ice after school
28- Happy Birthday Ms. Esparza
31- School Halloween Parade 8:30-9:15
2- Fun Run Kick Off (This is our biggest and only school wide fundraiser)
3- Cam Krewe- Buddy Day
3- Fiesta! 3:00-6:00 All are invited to come have fun and experience the Mexican Culture.
6- Happy Birthday Ms. Stentiford
6- Anti Bullying Presentation for students (Sponsored by PTA)
7- ELAC Meeting- 8:30-9:15 All are invited.
10- Veteran’s Day Holiday (No School)
13- SSC Meeting 3:00-4:00