Welcome to the Camarena Elementary School located in Chula Vista, California “Home of the Robogriffins” Blog. Please note that this blog is currently under construction and the menu tabs will be completed by July 22, 2018. To follow the blog enter your email address on the follow bar located at the right side of this blog or visit our website.
Thursday, July 12 the office re-opens. Just a reminder that all families must prove residency in order for your child to placed on a class list before July 20. Office hours are 8:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday – Friday.
Thursday, July 12 from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm the YMCA orientation for those seeking or signed up for childcare will take place in the YMCA room on campus. This is a great opportunity for parents to meet the staff and learn about the YMCA licensed childcare.
Friday, July 20, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm meet the new administration, Dr. McLaren, principal Ms. Talamante, Associate Principal, find out who your child’s teacher will be, join the PTA, and more. PTA members will be on hand to talk about volunteer opportunities. However, you do not need to be able to volunteer to be a PTA member.
The First Day of School starts at 8:15 am on Monday, July 23 and is a Minimum Day.
- All students GRADES 1-6 should report directly to their classrooms for the first day. Students GRADES 1-6 are dismissed at 1:15 pm on the first day and every Friday. Dismissal on all regular school days beginning Tuesday, July 24 is 2:45 pm.
- All incoming Kindergarten students and their parents go to the auditorium at 9:15 am for a Kindergarten Orientation. Orientation ends at 11:15 am and Kindergarten students are dismissed to go home with parents. Please note Kinder dismissal for the first week (7-23 through 7-27) will be 11:15 am. After the first week Kinder dismissal is 2:30 pm Monday – Thursday and 1:00 pm on Fridays and all other minimum days.
- PLEASE EXPECT TRAFFIC DELAYS ON THE FIRST DAY.
Please note if you wish to drop off lunch or other items to your child during the school day you may do so only during your child’s recess or lunch time. Students will not be pulled from instructional time and office staff are not permitted to hold items in the office or make deliveries.
No changes will be made to class assignments in the first 3 weeks of school. If you would like to request a classroom change after that you may submit your request in writing with rationale as to why you are requesting a change. Changes will be considered only if space is available beginning August 13.
DROP OFF AND PICK UP IMPORTANT INFORMATION
1. Drop off and pick up students only in the front of the school and not the bus loop.
2. If you must leave your car, park in the parking lot and not the drive through zone.
3. Please do not bring animals including dogs on campus at any time – this includes arrival and dismissal.
4. Please do not park in RESERVED spaces.
5. Please wait at the front of the school to pick up your child.
6. Please keep the front gate entryway clear.
7. Students must walk bikes, hover boards, and skate boards on side walks.
8. Students not picked up by 2:25 pm (1:25 pm on minimum days) will be escorted to the office, sign in and need to be signed out by the person picking him/her up.
9. For everyone’s safety BE PATIENT, KIND, and CONSIDERATE.
School Site Council (SSC) is in need of 4 Parent Representatives interested in serving on our school’s governance board that oversees student achievement and the school budget. Nominations will be accepted now through August 5. No experience necessary, just a willingness to serve. Once the ballot is determined, elections will be held on August 6. The first official SSC meeting will be held on August 16. SSC meets approximately one time per month on Thursdays from 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm.
Wednesday, July 25 – 6:00 pm PTA General Meeting
Thursday, July 26 – 6:00 pm is Parent Information Night. The topics include:
- Campus Safety – What every parent should know.
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) (for parents of students in grades 3-6)
- What are SSC, ELAC, LCAP, and SPSA and how do they help your child?
Wednesday, August 1 – 8:30 am or 6:30 pm Volunteer Inservices. Please note that for everyone’s safety NO Visitors or Volunteers will be allowed on campus until August 6. All folks who would like to volunteer ON campus must attend one of the Volunteer In-services on August 1.
Thursday, August 16 at 3:00 pm School Site Council (SSC) First Official Meeting.
Thursday, August 23 CURRICULUM NIGHT 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
***Session 1 5:30 pm – 6:00 pm
***Session 2 6:15 pm – 6:45 pm
***Session 3 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm